How to handle getting into a car accident.
For a minute, life stops. You donâ€™t remember how you got to this moment, but here you are. When youâ€™ve just been in a car accident, not only are you one of the unlucky people, but youâ€™re likely to not know where to start to recover your car. How you react can prevent further injuries, reduce costs, and accelerate the clean-up and repair process.
If youâ€™re involved in a traffic collision, try to remain calm, and follow these steps:
- Keep an emergency kit in your glove compartment, including pen and paper for taking notes.
- Pull to the side of the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic.
- Turn on your hazard lights and set out cones, flares, or warning triangles if possible.
- If anyone is injured, call an ambulance.
- Exchange information with the other drivers that were involved in the crash, such as name, address, phone number, driverâ€™s license number, and license plate number.
- If there is any damage done to the cars, take photos on your phone.
- File an accident report.Â Once the police are on the scene, ask for a copy of the report, and jot down the officerâ€™s names.
- Call your Insurance Agent or Company.
The whole insurance process is smoother if you know the details of your coverage. Donâ€™t wait until after an accident to find out that your policy doesnâ€™t automatically cover costs for towing or a replacement rental car. Let your insurer know that youâ€™ve been in an accident and follow the policy procedure.
Make sure that your company has your version of what happened and check your policy for your deductible limits. Work with a company thatâ€™s dedicated to securing the qualityÂ auto insuranceÂ that you and your vehicle need and deserve.Â ContactÂ the professionals at CAV Insurance, located in Wellesley Hills, MA.