After a wet spring, the warm weather has finally arrived! Have you taken you classic car out yet? If not itâ€™s time to take the dusty cover off and fire them up for their first drive of the year. Before you take them out, there are some items that you should check.
While we do not advise our clients to remove coverage in the winter, some choose to do so. It is vital that you call your insurance agent before you take your car out and review the coverages. Many specialty companies that we work with insure cars on an agreed value basis. This agreed value basis means that the car is insured for whatever value is stated on the policy. It is always good to review the market value of your collector car annually and check to see what your car is worth. The last thing you want is for your pride and joy to be underinsured.
Right now is a great time to catch up on the maintenance of your car. Use these warm days to get ahead of the game. Here is a list of things to check:
- Check the coolant level
- Change the oil and oil filter
- Check the transmission oil
- Check the brake fluid
- If your car has power steering, check the power steering fluid
- Check the belt for cracks and other imperfections
- Check the radiator hoses for cracks
- Clean or replace the spark plugs
- Check the tire pressures (Donâ€™t forget the spare!)
- Have a look around the engine bay for debris from mice or other critters
- If the car has an electric fuel pump, turn the key one notch and let it click. This action will prime the fuel system and fill up the carburetors. It is also a good time to check for fuel leaks.
- If you do not have a fire extinguisher in the car, it is strongly recommended that you do.
- Check the inspection sticker and registration. Make sure both are active.
Start her up!
Let the car run for a couple of minutes as you look over the engine. Check again for leaks and allow the car to warm up. If you discover a problem that you are not sure how to fix, look for a specialized shop to help you!
Now you are ready for the best time of the year! Enjoy the summer season and get out on the roads with your classic car!