Tips for Safer Driving in the Snow
Like it or not, itâ€™s just going to get colder from here. We know that many of our customers are seasoned Bay Staters who have driven in the cold and snow year after year. However, itâ€™s never a bad idea to brush up on your safety. Whether youâ€™re located in Wellesley, Sherborn, Belmont, or Boston, weâ€™ve got just the winter driving tips that can help you stay safe on the roads.
- Never warm up your car or leave it running in an enclosed space, such as a closed garage.
- Make sure your gas tank is always more than halfway full in case of an emergency.
- Ensure your tires are properly inflated.
- Never use boiling water to de-ice your windshield. The rapid change in temperature can cause the glass to crack.
- Take your time to clear snow and ice from all windows and lights.
- Tune into local traffic reports to stay up to date with current road conditions.
- Increase your following distance, especially when the roads are slick with rain, ice, or snow.
- Avoid using cruise control when driving on a slick surface.
- Use your brakes early and gently when you need to come to a complete stop.
- Donâ€™t pump anti-lock brakes. Instead, â€˜stomp and steerâ€™ if you need to make an emergency stop.
- If the conditions get worse, donâ€™t drive unless absolutely necessary.
- Make sure your carâ€™s emergency kit is fully stocked at all times.
- Take your time! Give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination so that you arenâ€™t tempted to speed. If you are driving in the snow, remember that everything takes longer – accelerating, braking, and turning.
- Trucks are heavier than cars. They will take longer to safely respond and come to a complete stop, so avoid quickly cutting in front of them.
- Review your auto insurance to ensure you have adequate coverage.
Driving can be unpredictable in snowy, wintery conditions. Take proper precautions before you hit the road as well as when youâ€™re on the road to keep yourself and those around you safe.
These tips will help you to stay safe on the roads this winter. If you find yourself in a bad situation or would like to speak with a Massachusetts insurance expert from CAV Insurance Agency, call us on 781-237-4107. Remember that it only takes a few minutes to get an auto insurance quote from your local insurance agency. For more winter and driving tips, stay tuned to our blog!